Monday, November 27, 2006

Studies & Paper Prototypes

STUDY

Before I paper prototype the game I would like to build I wanted to do some paper studies of games. A game I found interesting to study was uno. Although uno doesn't fit the criteria of being a single player game. It does have room for additions to the game for making it more interactive.

To begin this process of how I wanted to make this game more interactive I first revisited the overall rules of the game. I used this webpage as a reference.





















Here are the basic interactions for an traditional game of UNO.

  • You can make players draw 2 or more cards.
  • You can change the color for the next playable card.
  • You can skip your opponent or reverse the order of turns to skip your opponent.
  • If your opponent forgets to say uno and you catch them they have to draw 2 cards.

Here are the new interactions I want to include in UNO.

  • No UNO card, you can make your opponent pick up 7 more cards if you play this card when they only have one card left. It doesn't matter if they say uno or not.
  • SWAP card, allows you to swap your hand with your opponents hand.
  • SHUFFLE card, allows you to make your opponent place their entire hand back in the deck and pick up new cards equal to the amount they previously had.
Uno interests me because it is a game that you can easily paper prototype and is equally interesting to build as an online multiplayer game, unfortunately for my project purposes it doesnot fit the design criteria of being a single player game.


PAPER PROTOTYPE

After looking online and trying to run through, board games, online games, and card games that are single player such as Tetris, solitaire, Bejeweled, Sudoku, free cell, etc. I realized that none of these games peaked my interest to build and would be particularly challenging to build as a game with my current expertise.

The game that stuck out to me from the being was the game snake, but I looked at other games to make sure I was not limiting myself to this game and had a good reason as to why I choose it.
Snake is not a particularly easy game to paper prototype, but it does offer avenues where multiplayer capabilties can be added in.

I choose snake because it is a game based on a very simple concept and allows room for me to add my own multiplayer capabilties to make it more complex.

















Snake Rules(Original Game: Single Player Rules)

  • Guide the snake to eat food. The more food you eat the bigger your score and the longer your tail gets. Do not hit the walls and do not run into your own tail or you die.
PRECEDENT

Snake Rules(Revised Game: Multiplayer Rules)

  • Guide the snake to eat food. The more food you eat the bigger your score and the longer your tail gets. Do not hit the walls and do not run into your own tail or you die.
  • You are playing against a timer the opponent with the highest score, when the time is up wins.
  • For each item of food you eat a solid block gets sent to your opponents side. If your opponent hits this block they will die.
  • Random explosives appear on each player screen if you eat the explosives the solid blocks placed by your opponent are destroyed.
  • Random items appears on each players screen, that allows you to increase the tail length of your opponents snake by 2.
  • Possiblity of an item that will allow you to swap your game for your opponents. Score does not swap. What swaps is the snake length and board.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home